Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 21:20:00 +0800 (CST)
From:      Thinker Li <thinker@cnpa.yzit.edu.tw>
To:        Darius Moos <moos@degnet.baynet.de>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD-questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Is this network possible with FreeBSD ???

On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Darius Moos wrote:

> corrections or commitments on this. Again the picture is appended
> below.
> 1. The router is a KA9Q-ISPA-router, not capable of bridging.
> 2. The machines on the private company network (192.168.3.x) need
>    a gateway (the FreeBSD-box) and this gateway should be the
>    WWW-server, WWW-proxy and SMTP-server. I was told, the gateway
>    (the FreeBSD-box) has to have a IP in the private company network
>    (192.168.3.x), because they are all Windows machines and Windows
>    needs this (i don't know if Windows does it really need).
> 3. ifconfigs for the FreeBSD-box:
>       ifconfig ed0 inet 1.2.3.253 netmask 0xffffff00
>       ifconfig ed0 inet 192.168.3.1 netmask 0xfffffc00 alias
> 4. I'll config the NE2000-device of the router to
>      1.2.3.36 with netmask 0xffffff00
> 5. I'll change the 100MBit-device of the router to
>      192.168.3.104 with netmask 0xfffffc00
> Please make some suggestions on this configuration.
> - Will this configuration work ?
> - Will the packets of the FreeBSD-box addressed to the internet, be
>   routed through the ISDN-line ?
> - Will the packets from the private company network find their way to
>   the gateway (the FreeBSD-box) ?
>
> Remember, i have not the option of changing the physical configuration
> of this network, since it is a 100 MBit network based on HP-10/100-VG
> and Compex-100VG4 network-cards and FreeBSD-2.1.x does not support them.
>
> Many thanks in advance for all suggestions and helpful hints.
> When i'll get this bogus network running, i'm sure, the boss will be
> impressed and another friend of FreeBSD is born and maybe the ISP
> starts thinking about Operating-systems as well defined and behaved
> systems and stops thinking about OS's as hacking-systems.
>
> Darius Moos.
>
> As promised, here is the pictured configuration:
>
>                   +---------------+
>                   | FreeBSD-2.1.0 |
>                   |+-------------+|
>                   ||   NE 2000   ||
>                   || 192.168.3.1 ||
>                   ||   1.2.3.253 ||
>                   ++------o------++
>                  ++-------o-------++
>                  || NE 2000       ||
>                  ||   1.2.3.36    ||
>                  |+---------------+|
>                  |                 |
>                  |         +-------+
>                  | Router  | ISDN  o------------o ISP  1.2.3.x
>                  |         +-------+
>                  |                 |
>                  |+---------------+|
>                  || 100 MBit      ||
>                  || 192.168.3.104 ||
>                  ++-------o-------++
>                  ++-------o-----++
>                  ||   100 MBit  ||
>                  || 192.168.3.2 ||
>                  |+-------------+|
>                  |               |
>                  |  192.168.3.x  |
>

> --
>

> email: moos@degnet.baynet.de

Your configuration will be something wrong.
When your packets want to been route to lan 1.2.3.x,
your packets will be boradcasted between your BSD and 1.2.3.36 .
But, it will not be routed to lan 1.2.3.x throughing 1.2.3.36.
The netmask of 1.2.3.253 is 0xffffff00. It is meaning
that lan between BSD and 1.2.3.36 is 1.2.3.x, and packets that
want to be routed to 1.2.3.x will be broadcasted here.

The packets will be routed successful, if you can change IP alias of
BSD to 1.2.3.37 with netmask 0xfffffffe.

The router will route the packets from private company network to
your BSD if you can set a routing path for each machine in company and
router, or it will not work well.

It is my segguestion.