Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:59:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: just like midi/seq was treated? (was Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headed for history)

On 02-Jul-2004 Mathew Kanner wrote:
> On Jun 30, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>>
>> What about serial MIDI?  Wasn't that supposedly included in the
>> system at one time?  Did it ever work for anyone?  I'm especially
>> anxious to know if this will be included or not, as I don't have a
>> MIDI interface on this new AMD64 machine, but could use the serial
>> port if that's an option.
>
>       Seigo is very interested in serial-midi.  It supposedly worked
> in them midi2 but I remeber reading that in general it's hard to do
> serial midi because of different timing (baud?) rates.

Hmmm, I don't know about anything having to do with baud rate problems.
All I know is my own experience using serial MIDI under Windows a while
back.  When I first got this keyboard (Yamaha SO3), I didn't have a
MIDI cable for it, so I used the serial driver that came with it.
Worked great.

I do hope we can get the same functionality under FreeBSD.  If not, I
can always yank the soundcard out of my old machine (which does have a
MIDI uart), provided, of course, that we can get *that* to work
properly.  :-)

I do appreciate the work you're doing a *lot*.  Thanks!

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"