Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2000 20:14:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Subject:   Re: ntp servers?

On 06-Nov-00 j mckitrick wrote:

> I can't seem to figure out why the method I have always used until now
> doesn't work. I have a laptop, so it doesn't make sense to run a
> time-keeping daemon, does it?  I used to just su to root and run ntpdate
> every once in a while, with the name of one of the servers on the list.  Now
> I keep getting the 'no suitable server for syncronization found' or
> something similar.  Has the behavior of ntpdate changed without me realizing
> it?  I didn't want to go through the trouble of lots of config files since
> my system is not up all the time, and this method had always worked before.

Sometimes hosts go off-line, servers don't serve, a router won't route;
unlike web or mail, most admins ignore their time servers.

the point: sync to multiple servers, just in-case one is in the weeds.

I put ntpdate my ppp.linkup :

localhost.root# head ppp.linkup
MYADDR:
 !bg /usr/sbin/sendmail -q
 !bg /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s ntp.tmc.edu ntp.udel.edu ntp1.tamu.edu

localhost.root# tail /var/log/ntp.log

<snip>
Nov  6 17:03:23 <12.5> localhost ntpdate[27351]: step time server 128.175.2.18
offset -0.714099 sec
Nov  6 18:48:30 <12.5> localhost ntpdate[27431]: adjust time server
128.175.2.18 offset -0.482409 sec
Nov  6 19:08:34 <12.5> localhost ntpdate[27463]: adjust time server
128.175.2.33 offset -0.464349 sec

Regards,
--
Don Read                     dread@texas.net
There are old sailors, and there are foolish