Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 2011 02:53:32 +0800
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@tormail.net>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Christer Solskogen <christer.solskogen@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, garga@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of use_gmake breaks lua

Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org> writes:

>>> I don't like the proposed solution; it's less hackish to just use
>>> gmake again; most people have it installed anyway....
>>
>> A non-hackish solution would involve fixing sys.mk to guard against
>> recursive inclusion of __MAKE_CONF. bsd.port.mk is known to have
>> this when using make(1) for do-build.
>>
>> Not that I mind shoving the issue under the carpet by using gmake.
[...]
> Ah now there is a better solution :)

It breaks non ports builds if the guard is propagated  via .MAKEFLAGS.
And one no longer can .if/.ifdef (in make.conf) innards of ports.

> I'll see if we can get it in the tree.

Nevermind, in case of lang/lua

  1/ sys.mk sets CFLAGS= from make.conf
  2/ Makefile adds -fPIC to CFLAGS
  3/ bsd.port.mk copies CFLAGS to MAKE_ENV
  4/ sys.mk sets CFLAGS from make.conf again,
     `=' overrides CFLAGS from environment

A simple make(1) build doesn't export CFLAGS

# Makefile
all:
	@cd foo && $(MAKE)
	@cd foo && CFLAGS='$(CFLAGS)' $(MAKE)