Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:31:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.1.3 and 1.2.0 problems under FBSD2.2.2

Please, limit your crossposting.  _ONE_ mailing list is appropriate.  If
something is appropriate to another list, it is almost never appropriate
to questions.  Also it is appreciated if you don't ask a question publicly
and submit it as an Apache bug at the same time.  Ask it publicly first
and wait to get answers.  It avoids wasting limited developer time.

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Josef Karthauser wrote:

> The continuing saga of a sick web machine :(
>
> A brief history.  We're running a P200pro FBSD2.2.2 machine here as
> a virtual web server.  It currently has 130ish web servers running,
> each with their own IP address.
>
> Where did the problem start?  I'm not sure, but it was some combination
> of reaching 124ish web servers, and hitting a certain number of active
> http connections.
>
> The web server is basically fine, until some limit gets reached and the
> server then just hangs, with lots of sockets still active.

You are running out of file descriptors.  Just because you change the
ulimit does _NOT_ mean you can actually use all of them.  You are probably
running into the FD_SETSIZE limit, which limits (among other things) the
number of fds that select() can handle.  It is still 255.

Under 2.2, I think you should be able to just redefine FD_SETSIZE before
compiling Apache to increase that.

The reason that 1.1 works and 1.2 doesn't is probably because file
descriptors are allocated in a different order in 1.2 for various reasons.

You don't make it entirely clear, but I am assuming that just Apache is
hanging, not the whole machine.

--
     Marc Slemko     | Apache team member
     marcs@znep.com  | marc@apache.org