Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 23:19:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        n@nectar.com (Jacques A. Vidrine)
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   GSS-API and PAM (was list 'o things)

> PAM does not and cannot provide the same functionality as the Kerberos
> API, GSS-API or SASL.  PAM is targetted at interactive authentication --
> give it a username and password, and return yes/no indicating
> authentication success or failure [1].  Once authentication is done, PAM
> is no longer involved (except for a possible clean-up when we log out --
> though this is commonly not implemented).

Please see either of:

	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/008329799/
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/pre/doc/xsso.ps.gz

for the XSSO (X/Open Single Sign On service) PAM documentation.
In particular, please look at the PAM API and SPI, and at the
session management functions and session management module
functions.

> The other mechanisms (particularly Kerberos and GSS-API) do not concern
> themselves with initial authentication, but rather with handling the
> secure transfer of data between applications, including encryption and
> credential forwarding and such.

PAM concerns itself with five different types of service modules:
Authentication (which is the one you were talking about), account
management, session management, and mapping.

It's true that Linux does not implement GSS-API and PAM integration,
but it _is_ possible to put one under the other.

> So, to repeat:  PAM and GSS-API are orthogonal.  One is not going to
> ``take over completely'' at the expense of the other.  Even SASL and
> GSS-API don't exactly compete -- to an extent, SASL is layered over
> GSS-API.

It was my impression that XSSO had extended PAM to the point
that it incorporates GSS-API functionality; yeah, I know it's
not RFC 15xx compliant, but it doesn't really matter: it's a
defacto standard.

> Further, Kerberos is not the only way to get security and encryption
> with, say, TELNET.  Other GSS-API implementations can be plugged in
> quite easily, such as X.509/SSL or DCE.  (We have OpenSSL in the base
> now -- it probably makes sense to add this support to these daemons at
> some point.)

Yes.  RSA is specifically mentioned as a Kerberos option for GSS-API,
in the original documents.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---