Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 05:13:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Michael Chin-yuan Wu <mwu@ece.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, groggy@lemis.com, joerg@freebsd.org
Subject:   "FreeBSD Internals" chapter in handbook

Reply to keichii@bsdconspiracy.net please.

I realize that the handbook freeze is in progress.

While rewriting the "FreeBSD Internals" chapter in the handbook,
I came across the information on memory control and DMA
handling.  The memory control part is extremely outdated
and should be completely rewritten (work in progress).
The DMA handling section, in my humble opinion, is not
relevant to "FreeBSD Internals", nor is it relevant to FreeBSD.
It deals with the i386 architecture and general DMA information.

The VM section by Mr. Dillon is very good, and I wonder if
we can also merge Mr. Dillon's DaemonNews article on VM into it.
If Mr. Dillon should agree, I will rewrite them so that
the two becomes one coherent section.

Here is my proposal:

1. Remove the memory access section and rewrite it.
   Hopefully, Mr. Wunsch or some other willing and able
   person will write it/send it to me.  And I will rewrite
   the article into a form that is easier to read.

2. If Mr. Lemis agrees, I will write a section on vinum
   to be inserted into either handbook/Disks or
   handbook/Internals.

3. If Mr. Dillon agrees, a rewrite of the VM section will pop
   from me sometime next week (possibly this weekend).

4. Complete removal of the DMA section in handbook/internals
   It is a discussion on DMA, not FreeBSD :)

5. IPV6 section reorganization from yours truly :P
   [By the way, it is an excellent doc already. :)]

6. Move the old section on memory access plus the DMA section
   to somewhere accessible to programmers.
   i.e. "man dma", into a PDF/PS document, or some other proposal

Response for 1-4 and 6 would be appreciated, Thank you

--
keichii@bsdconspiracy.net
Wide Spread BSD Conspiracy to take over the world OS market