Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:33:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Failure to mount root filesystem after building new kernel

Following my previous custom, I did the following:

I upgraded to 4.1-RELEASE, installed 4.1 RELEASE GENERIC kernel,
but, have trouble running a newly built kernel, including GENERIC,
so:

- CVsup the 4.1 stable source tree,

- cd to /usr/src

- "make buildworld"  - no problems

- "make installworld" - no problems

- reboot, old kernel works fine, (of course, can't "ps" etc.)

- cd to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf

- config new GENERIC kernel, make depend, make, make install, reboot

Then, new GENERIC kernel can't mount root filesystem, boot process
hangs, I unload new GENERIC kernel, load old kernel, and life goes on.

So, I must be forgetting some step or don't know about some new
step.  I'm running a GENERIC kernel that the release process built,
why can't I build and run a GENERIC kernel that I built?

What am I forgetting?

A few system specifics:

SuperMicro motherboard, 400 MHz P II, Buslogic SCSI controller,
IBM SCSI disks.