Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:35:46 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1-RELEASE will be tagged and done tonite, starting at 18:00 PDT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Just a heads-up to say that the last few issues have been dealt with
> and it looks like we're on target for a July 25th, 18:00 PDT (Pacific
> Daylight Time) tag and (as soon as that's finished) release operation.
>
> I'll be putting the i386 and alpha bits together throughout the night
> and will be shooting for some FTPable / ISO image bits on ftp.freebsd.org
> by early morning (the 26th).

    I've attempted to send a couple of messages to stable during
the past few days, but the upgrade to 4.1 RC0 nuked my
sendmail.cf; therefore my address rewriting rules are gone and I
imagine the messages were quietly round-filed as a result.

    I've seen a couple of problems with some of the ports, one of
which was caused by a recent commit in /src/sys/net/if_var.h.  Here is
the list:

    1.  GIMP does not compile.  It fails while trying to build
        libgnomeui in the gnomelibs package.  I've already filed a PR
        for this.

    2.  VMWare does not compile.  It fails in vmnet, tripping over
        the altered signature to ether_ifattach() in the
        newly-committed /src/sys/net/if_var.h.  If you look at the
        diff, you'll see that an extra int parameter has been added.

And, of course, the deletion of my sendmail.cf was rather annoying,
but I can fix that easily enough.

    I don't think that either of these are showstoppers, but item #2
is rather troubling to those people who use VMWare heavily--especially
when they're beset by those lost souls who push Linux all the
time.  :-(

    I have not yet filed a PR for the VMWare problem.  I thought I
might try to cook up a patch first, if I can find some time.

Regards,
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (at yourfit.com)
behanna@zbzoom.net