Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:06:43 -0500
From:      Sean <rsh.lists@comcast.net>
To:        Aaron Myles Landwehr <aaron@snaphat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Makefile correction?

Aaron Myles Landwehr wrote:
> Sean wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>>     I am trying to install gnuchess but when I start the build process
>> it errors out as follows.

>> tardis# make install clean
>> ===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
>> ===>  Found saved configuration for gnuchess-5.07
>> ===>  Extracting for gnuchess-5.07
>> => Checksum OK for book_1.01.pgn.gz.
>> /usr/ports/distfiles//gnuchess-5.07.tar.gz: No such file or directory
>> tar: Error opening archive: Empty input file: Inappropriate file type
>> or format
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/ports/games/gnuchess.
>

> Hello, I attempted to install the port and recieved the same error as
> you. The current makefile does not grab the gnuchess.tar.gz, whenever
> WITH_OPENING_BOOK is specified, because EXTRACT_ONLY is misplaced
> underneathe of that section. Comment out that EXTRACT_ONLY line and
> underneathe the MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR line add the following two lines:
>
> DISTFILES=      ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}${EXTRACT_SUFX}
> EXTRACT_ONLY=   ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}${EXTRACT_SUFX}
>
> I suppose someone should submit a patch for this...
> -Aaron Myles Landwehr

Thanks Aaron,

That did the trick.
Questions however.
The DISTFILES= statement you added is obviously different from the
DISTFILES+= in the (WITH_OPENING_BOOK) section.
Does the + symbol just mean in addition to the main file?

I am guessing if I am correct in the + comment above that an
'EXTRACT_ONLY" statement is not needed because it is an additional file
to the main?

Looking at another Makefile, the gcompris2 one to be exact, I do not see
an EXTRACT_ONLY line. I looked at two others and they also do not have
an EXTRACT_ONLY line.
This statement is only needed in certain circumstances, or there is more
then one way to do the same thing?

Thanks
Sean