Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 1996 05:00:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Montana <phace@eden.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cannot add users

When attempting to execute the 'adduser' command as root on my FreeBSD
R2.1 box i get the following:

pwd_mkdb: /etc/master.passwd: Permission denied
Invalid /etc/master.passwd - cannot add any users!

The permissions are set correctly:
-rw------- 1 root wheel 1018 Jul 24 03:33 master.passwd

I've tried 'adduser -v' also and it doesn't give me any clues as to what
the problem is.  Also I've tried vipw and deleted all users and I've tried
to sysinstall and change root passwd.  All those efforts proved
unsuccessful.  And man pages on pwd_mkdb and passwd dont give any clues
either.

If you've got any ideas or clues on why this happened and how I could
possibly fix this problem please reply.  Any help or comments will be
greatly appreciated.

Tony