Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 17:42:46 -0400
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make -j4 becoming default?

	<http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html>; recommends
-j4 for "make buildworld". I've tried using it with various ports,
and it works with some, but prevents others (so far, bind9, net-snmp,
and imap-uw) from building.

	Obviously, I'd like to use -j4 wherever possible, and it's
suboptimal to try everything multi-threaded, then sometimes fail and
manually fall back to single-threaded. Even worse, I usually forget
-j4 for thread-safe builds, so I waste time unnecessarily.

	Are there any plans to allow a default -j setting, and
identify certain packages as requiring single-threaded making? One
possibility that's occurred to me is to set MAKE_THREADS=4 and leave
MAKE_THREADED unset in /etc/defaults/make.conf.

	Multi-threadable Makefiles, including /usr/src/Makefile,
could set MAKE_THREADED="YES", and single-threaded Makefiles
(/usr/ports/Makefile, to start) could set MAKE_THREADED="NO". Then
the make command could be enhanced to set -j from MAKE_THREADS if
MAKE_THREADED is YES.

	Are there gaping holes in this idea? Is there a better method
waiting in the wings?

						Thanks,

						Chris Pepper
--