Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:21:46 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        hartzell@alerce.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Steps to debug memory/motherboard (Via VB8001) problem

On Jan 22, 2009, at 10:50 AM, George Hartzell wrote:
> I can run with either of the DIMMs in the first slot and am able to
> build and install world and kernel.
>
> If I populate both slots then I can run for a bit (e.g. make
> buildkernel) before I end up in the debugger or with the build bombing
> out with a message about "bad address".

Sounds like the motherboard or the memory is marginal, and the
combination of the 2 DIMMs puts it out of spec.  Try running memtest86
overnight and see whether that finds errors.  If so, you might be able
to reduce the RAM timings in the BIOS and get it stable, or you might
not.

Are the two DIMMs identical (ie, same vendor, same specs)?

--
-Chuck