Date:      Fri, 1 May 2009 16:12:39 -0700
From:      Louis Kowolowski <louisk@cryptomonkeys.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current zfs tuning in RELENG_7 (AMD64) suggestions ?

On May 1, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Pete French wrote:

> The tuning isn't there to improve performance, it's there to prevent
> the box going titus due to a panic when the ARC gets too big, and
> you are missing the mian one, which is to limit the size of the ARC.
> On recent versions of BSD (and you are running 7.2, so thats fine)
> then
> the defaults for kmem size are fine, but you still need something
> like this:
>
> vfs.zfs.arc_max="256M"
>
> In there to stop the ARC growing. thats the only tuning I have on
> my 4 gig machine, which takes a steady stream of data and is used
> for taking backup snapshots. ZFS is excellent, and for me is perfectly
> stable, to the point where I am starting to roll it out to production
> machines, with the above tuning.

I agree, although I'm using 384 instead of 256.  My systems have been
running in production for almost a year now w/o any ZFS issues.
--
Louis Kowolowski                                louisk@cryptomonkeys.org
Cryptomonkeys:                      http://www.cryptomonkeys.org/~louisk

Making life more interesting for people since 1977