Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:53:05 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Joe Wamsley <netrattler@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SB16 card trouble

Hi Joe!

On 13 Jan 02 at 12:52 you wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting my Sound Blaster 16 PNP ISA card working in
> FreeBSD. I followed the instructions in the Handbook to set it up but
> after I load the modules in and reboot my computer like I'm suppose to,
> I typed in " dmesg | grep pcm " and it doesn't show anything there after
> running that command.

I'm not the greatest FreeBSD expert out there (and I haven't used
sound with FreeBSD since 1999), so please take this with a grain of
salt of considerable size.

I guess if you load the modules, they will remain loaded until you
reboot and after reboot you have to load them again.

To have the SB appear in dmesg you need to build custom kernel with
'snd' device. Then the SB is detected in dmesg and will work
automatically after each reboot.

If you don't want to rebuild the kernel, I guess you can just
automate the process of loading the modules at boot time by adding
the following into /boot/loader.conf:

snd_pcm_load="YES"
snd_sbc_load="YES"

FWIW the sound card seems to be working according the messages. Did
you try some sound applications *before* rebooting?

HTH,
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* I know enough to know that I don't know enough