Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 00:27:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        j_mini@efn.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: character-set information for terminals.

> I've always seen this as implimentation dependant...  You can never
> assume that a terminal is initialized to a known state, and thus you
> should be able to know everything your program does to initialize it.
> I can check my VT420 manual at home, but I don't think that you can
> obtain a terminal-independant way of doing what you want to do.

Use "ti=" and "te=", and force tset in the global login.  Alternately,
initialize the device by overloading the "im" banner when the login
is displayed by getty.

If you are going to define an environment that depends on hardware
settings, then you should force the hardware settings as well.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.