Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:50:19 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on how to straighten out a crappy ISP

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 09:50:32PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> Their tech folks are incompetent, and their tech support is useless.

You appear to have conncetivity. If they were really incompetent, that
wouldn't be happening.

> Their mail servers are broken and therefore any mail to @freebsd.org
> bounces.  If you look at my headers, you'll see that I configured my
> box to be its own mail relay and I'm able to send to the FreeBSD lists
> (yippie!).

Define "broken". No reverse lookup on DNS? Tell them it's needed in the RFC,
even if it isn't. Tell them how to do it. Most importantly, don't tell the
front line support - get escalated up to somebody who knows how to do it and
has admin privileges on the right box.

ISPs are willing to help, it's just most of them are stuctured to keep techs
away from customers.

> I am NOT paying for a static IP.  I don't need it, I have no need

Sounds like you do need it to me. :-)

> When I try to talk to them, I get anything from "reinstall Windows"
> to flat-out ignored.

And when you phoned their manager and politely explained the situation, what
did he say? ;-)

--
Paul Robinson