Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 16:15:27 -0500
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why aren't the ptys in /etc/ttys secure by default?

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Does this seem like "enough" security to keep the pty's secure?  Without
> secure ptys, it's not possible to log in as root from an xterm.

I always try to avoid being root longer than needed.

I would not enable them as secure, since as another pointed out, you
can/should login as another user in the wheel group and then su to root.

--
Internet:       ahd@kew.com             Voice:          617-279-9810

"You look good in black leather . . ."          -ahd-, out of context