Date:      Mon, 02 Jun 2003 12:52:05 -0400
From:      Tom Convery <tpc@tomfoo.com>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hints on KVM switches w/ X

Gregory Bond wrote:
> Has anyone got hints on using KVM switches with XFree86?  I'm using a
>  wheel mouse and moused, but something gets out of whack when I
> switch away then back to X.

What make/model of KVM and mouse are you using? I've had this happen to
me when the KVM doesn't _really_ support the mouse I'm using, e.g. using
an IntelliMouse Explorer with any Belkin KVM I've ever tried.

> Next time I touch the mouse, all sorts of weird things happen for a
> fraction of a second, then the mouse starts working OK.

This happens when the psm driver gets out of sync with the mouse. The
driver realizes this is happening and corrects itself, but not until it
gets enough garbage (which makes the mouse cursor bounce and click all
over the place) to realize it's out of sync. :-\

If the earlier-posted hint about disabling psm sync checking (with
"flags 0x0100") doesn't help, replacing your KVM may be the answer. :-(

-tpc