Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 05:18:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
To:        "Mr.Blue" <blue@niftynet.net>
Subject:   Re: user PPP

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Mr.Blue wrote:

> when i type ppp to dial into my isp i get and error that says:
>
> ld.so failed: can't find shared library "libdes.so.3.0"

This should be in the FAQ.  I don't know about the implications of it
being in both the FAQ AND the Errata though...

The answer is here:  http://www.freebsd.org/releases/2.2.6R/errata.html

Here is the answer:
-----
o  The ppp program fails to work, citing a missing shared library
   called "libdes.so.3.0".

Fix:  There are three possible fixes:

1. The easiest fix is to simply install the des distribution with
   /stand/sysinstall, remembering to pick a site that will allow you
   to export it if you're outside the United States and Canada
   (ftp.freebsd.org and ftp.internat.freebsd.org both fall into this
   category).

2. Purely as a work-around, and what you may need to do if ppp
   also constitutes your only way of getting to the net, is to simply
   do the following (as root):

      cp /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2.0 /usr/lib/libdes.so.3.0
      ldconfig -m /usr/lib

3. Another fix, and one which doesn't involve having to fetch the DES
   bits, is to install the ppp sources in /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp and
rebuild
   them.  The sources are "smart" enough to know that the DES library
isn't
   on the system and won't create a binary which depends on it.

NOTE:  If you choose the 2nd or 3rd fixes, you also will not be able to
use MSCHAP (Microsoft Win*) style authentication.
-----
The fix is really up to you.  I chose #2 and have been happy since.