Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 23:44:45 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Jarek Granat <jarek@adeon.lublin.pl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp... exited on signal 11

On Sunday 03 March 2002 09:49 pm, Jarek Granat wrote:
> > Sig 11's usually mean hardware problems. Bad RAM is the usual culprit,
> > but also check that your CPU isn't overheating, and try another modem if
> > you have one.  I've also seen a lot of this problem with overclocked
> > processors. You might want to do a google search on "signal 11" there is
> > troubleshooting info available, I just don't remember the exact site.
>
> I found good website - thanks.
>
> It could be CPU or memory problems...
> Do you know any benchmarks to detect problems???
> Now I can't turn of server, but I try it soon.
>
> I also have strange kernel's compile errors (warnings).
> Could it be the samehardware problem?
>

> Thanks,

I can't tell you much about the kernel warnings without actually seeing the
messages, but generally warnings that do not result in a fatal error aren't
anything to worry about. As for benchmarks there are several in the ports
collection, but in my experience doing a make world stresses the RAM about as
well as can be done while it's still in the machine. I usually just swap
strips with a known good one until the sig 11's quit. You can also take the
strips in to your local computer shop and have them tested on a machine.
Since it's ppp that's going belly up I would take a good look at your
modem. Try swapping it with another one and see if it cures your problem.
Switch serial ports if you have another. And as an afterthought check your
cables (inside and out) a loose connection to the motherboard can cause the
problem your seeing as well.

Good Luck,

Beech

Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510