Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 15:31:51 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@netlink.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp 'set filter' question

Darren Wyn Rees wrote:

> I've succeeded in getting NAT working with ppp.
>
> I haven't configured 'dial on demand' with ppp (-auto etc), as yet.
>
> So, I have a simple network... FreeBSD serving other Windows machines,
> as a gateway (do please correct me if I'm using the term gateway
> incorrectly here).
>
> What I'd like to be able to do is this :
>
> 1)  give the Windows machine a simple means to determine
> if the FreeBSD machine is online
>
> 2) give the Windows machine a restricted means of 'bringing the link up',
> ie. connecting to the Net.
>
> For (1) I considered configuring a simple finger client to
> finger a port on the FreeBSD machine which cat-ted a "online"
> or "offline". But I couldnt' find an MSDOS finger client !
> I thought a simple shortcut on the Windows desktop that opened
> an MSDOS box would suffice.  Does this sound reasonable ?
> I don't want to force users of the Windows machine to launch
> a large application to find out a tincy little bit of info.
>
> For (2), I'm unsure.  I understand I can use 'set filter'.
> I've read the ppp man pages, and the 'Packet Filtering' section
> (and there was a hint on packet filtering in a sample ppp.conf
> that came with Walnut Creek CD).  I'd like to allow the
> users of the Windows machines to dial-up by doing something
> very definite.  How do other people solve this one ?

Personally, I setup user-ppp to auto start in the background, nat, and
demand dial. I currently have a runppp.sh in .../rc.d. I usually ping
my ISP and it dials. I use an alias to
ping -n 10 -w 10000 my.isp.com.

Unless there is a problem of some sort, I start getting a response on
the 3rd ping. If it times out completely, something is going on and I
go down to my gateway computer with the modem to see and hear what is
happening. I use user-ppp because it is easy to drop, dial, and quit
all using pppctl.

Kent

> Thanks for any useful tips.
>
>         Darren
>
> PS.  I'm /very/ impressed with this OS.  Putting it lightly.
>      It's a lot of fun.  It rocketh.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html