Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:38:37 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't see FreeBSD machine in Mac's Finder

On Oct 17, 2005, at 8:31 AM, Per Johnson wrote:

> Probably not if you cant use anything else than NFS.
> Mac OS X supports Samba and AFP. I know there is some AFP server
> you can  install on FreeBSD but I cant recall the name.
> With SMB or AFP you can have your BSD box in finder.
>
> Regards
>
> Per Johnson
>
> Charles Howse wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply, Per.
>> I understand what you're saying, but will a FreeBSD machine show
>> up in
>> Finder under any circumstances?
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Unfortunately is OS X not so good when it comes to NFS.
>>> To make your FreeBSD box talk either AFP or SMB solves your
>>> problem. If
>>> you have something against that you could try NFS Manager.
>>> http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Per Johnson

     Not true. Mac OS X Tiger plays nicer with NFS than SMB for me,
and I have little issues once I get past the initial pain in the arse
parts. Besides, I get lowsy performance with SMB, which definitely
made NFS a shoo-in.
     What does your line look like that you're trying to export in
your /etc/exports file on your freebsd box, what's the path you are
trying to mount in finder, and what does the console say on your mac
(applications -> utilities -> console) after you try and mount the
share?
-Garrett