Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:30:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        tbrock@mail.phoenix.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNOME: Does anyone use it?

On  4-Oct-99 at 06:41, Tony (tbrock@mail.phoenix.net) wrote:
> I see many screenshots from the Linux community where people use this
> glorified toolbar but from my experience, it's most reliable feature is
> creating .core files.

> My question is this: Are any people in the FreeBSD community using the
> GNOME port happily?  Did I skip a fundamental /home/userdir setup script?
>

> It's not important that I get it working, I just like to know why things
> aren't working as they should.

I've been using it for a while, and the basic functionality has been
pretty stable.  Some of the programs core dump on launch from the menu;
but the basic panel doesn't crash on me.

What I have noticed though is that it seems to be -very- sensitive
about exactly which versions of the various support libraries are in
use when you build it.  When I've updated to new GNOME ports, I've
found it best to track down all of the dependancy trees and update
-everything- that has a newer version, or is dependant on something
that has a newer version.  And the only safe way I've found to do
that is to uninstall the whole pile (and, of course, everything else
that depends on any of the uninstalled packages); and then build it
back from the ground up.  I do this one port at a time instead of
letting make handle the dependancies.  (This is a big enough PITA
that I don't upgrade that often.  My last update was 9 July.  I'll
be trying the current versions in a few days when I upgrade the OS
to 3.3.)

Oh, and I'm also using the Gtk themes with it; which probably doesn't
add to the stability...

-Pat