Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 20:11:07 -0400
From:      Stuart Krivis <ipswitch@apk.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crap OS X

--Apple-Mail-1903493171-2

On Sunday, May 13, 2001, at 10:19 PM, David Kelly wrote:

> My Titanium PowerBook G4-400 cost $2600 but http://www.outpost.com/
> threw
> in overnight shipping, leather carrying case, and an extra 128MB of RAM
> (for 256MB). Then another $100 or so for MacOS X because they don't ship

One of my cow-orkers got the same deal. She got an Outpost.com slinky
too. :-)

> it standard, yet. While that's more than an iBook or G4 desktop, I've
> never had a laptop before. Love it. Also buy a Logitech Optical Wheel
> Mouse, the blue/silver one which is "PS2/USB Compatible". At $30 its at
> least as good as Apple's $60 mouse, and slides better.

I got the plain beige version of this mouse for $20 at Best Buy.

> Part of my problem is I have about 10 years of history in the Mac
> files I
> drag around. Is terribly easy to buy a new machine with bigger HD, drag
> the entire old HD to a folder in the new, and everything works. So I
> have
> about 3 folders of prior machines that I ought to spend a couple of days
> cleaning out. Have long since thrown away the System Folders but keep a
> stuffed copy as there is no telling what Preferences file I might need
> later for having forgotten a serial number.

Maybe you could just burn some of this to CD? I did this with Photoshop
since I no longer use it very much. If I need it, I just drag it to my
HD, use it, and drag it to the trash when I'm done.

> Retrospect from Dantz is about the only Mac backup utility available.
> Its

Veritas Backup Exec also has a Mac client. Retrospect is quite good
though. Too bad they don't support unix...

--Apple-Mail-1903493171-2

in overnight shipping, leather carrying case, and an extra 128MB of RAM

(for 256MB). Then another $100 or so for MacOS X because they don't
ship

</excerpt>

One of my cow-orkers got the same deal. She got an Outpost.com slinky
too. :-)

<excerpt>it standard, yet. While that's more than an iBook or G4
desktop, I've

never had a laptop before. Love it. Also buy a Logitech Optical Wheel=20

Mouse, the blue/silver one which is "PS2/USB Compatible". At $30 its
at=20

least as good as Apple's $60 mouse, and slides better.

</excerpt>

I got the plain beige version of this mouse for $20 at Best Buy.=20

</color><excerpt>Part of my problem is I have about 10 years of
history in the Mac files I=20

drag around. Is terribly easy to buy a new machine with bigger HD,
drag=20

the entire old HD to a folder in the new, and everything works. So I
have=20

about 3 folders of prior machines that I ought to spend a couple of
days=20

cleaning out. Have long since thrown away the System Folders but keep
a=20

stuffed copy as there is no telling what Preferences file I might need=20=

later for having forgotten a serial number.

</excerpt>

Maybe you could just burn some of this to CD? I did this with
Photoshop since I no longer use it very much. If I need it, I just
drag it to my HD, use it, and drag it to the trash when I'm done.

</color><excerpt>

Retrospect from Dantz is about the only Mac backup utility available.
Its=20

</excerpt>