Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 00:21:37 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uh oh.. Time to take another look at the packages collection!

On Sun, Sep 28, 1997 at 11:51:07PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > CDROM drive. The "New and Improved" (tm) package system will have to be
> > able to do package installs in a two step process. That is unless you wish
> > to tell our users that they MUST have either a CD changer or 2 CDROM drives
> > to use our package system ;-)
>
> Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. :-(
>
> Unfortunately, I can't immediately think of any easy ways to implement
> this.

Yes, and the more I think about it the uglier it gets. Just for the sake of
argument lets say you wish to install package A which is on CD 1. Package A
has dependency on packages B, C, D. Packages B and C are on CD 2 and D is
on CD 1. So your "New and Improved" package system chugs along copying
packages A and D to a tmp space then demands that you umount CD 1 and mount
CD 2. It copys packages B and C to the tmp space then finds that
package B has a dependency on package E which is on CD 1. So now you have to
unmount CD 2 and mount CD 1.

You can see what a bummer this can become. The package system will need to
know _ALL_ dependences of a package in order to minimize CD swaping but it
will cause large amounts of tmp space to be eaten up. Let us pray that DVD
drops in price real soon and becomes the standard distribution media.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.2
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses