Date:      Thu, 15 May 2008 14:51:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brent Casavant <b.j.casavant@ieee.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>, freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thread scheduling at mutex unlock

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> With current libthr behavior the GUI thread would never have a chance to get
> the mutex as worker thread would always be a winner (as my small program
> shows).

The example you gave indicates an incorrect mechanism being used for the
GUI to communicate with this worker thread.  For the behavior you desire,
you need a common condition that lets both the GUI and the work item
generator indicate that there is something for the worker to do, *and*
you need seperate mechanisms for the GUI and work item generator to add
to their respective queues.

Something like this (could be made even better with a little effor):

	struct worker_queues_s {
		pthread_mutex_t		work_mutex;
		struct work_queue_s	work_queue;

		pthread_mutex_t		gui_mutex;
		struct gui_queue_s	gui_queue;

		pthread_mutex_t		stuff_mutex;
		int			stuff_todo;
		pthread_cond_t		stuff_cond;
	};
	struct worker_queue_s wq;

	int
	main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
		// blah blah
		init_worker_queue(&wq);
		// blah blah
	}

	void
	gui_callback(...) {
		// blah blah

		// Set up GUI message

		pthread_mutex_lock(&wq.gui_mutex);
		// Add GUI message to queue
		pthread_mutex_unlock(&wq.gui_mutex);

		pthread_mutex_lock(&wq.stuff_mutex);
		wq.stuff_todo++;
		pthread_cond_signal(&wq.stuff_cond);
		pthread_mutex_unlock(&wq.stuff_mutex);

		// blah blah
	}

	void*
	work_generator_thread(void*) {
		// blah blah

		while (1) {
			// Set up work to do

			pthread_mutex_lock(&wq.work_mutex);
			// Add work item to queue
			pthread_mutex_unlock(&wq.work_mutex);

			pthread_mutex_lock(&wq.stuff_mutex);
			wq.stuff_todo++;
			pthread_cond_signal(&wq.stuff_cond);
			pthread_mutex_unlock(&wq.stuff_mutex);
		}

		// blah blah
	}

	void*
	worker_thread(void* arg) {
		// blah blah

		while (1) {
			// Wait for there to be something to do
			pthread_mutex_lock(&wq.stuff_mutex);
			while (wq.stuff_todo < 1) {
				pthread_cond_wait(&wq.stuff_cond,
						  &wq.stuff_mutex);
			}
			pthread_mutex_unlock(&wq.stuff_mutex);

			// Handle GUI messages
			pthread_mutex_lock(&wq.gui_mutex);
			while (!gui_queue_empty(&wq.gui_queue) {
				// dequeue and process GUI messages
				pthread_mutex_lock(&wq.stuff_mutex);
				wq.stuff_todo--;
				pthread_mutex_unlock(&wq.stuff_mutex);
			}
			pthread_mutex_unlock(&wq.gui_mutex);

			// Handle work items
			pthread_mutex_lock(&wq.work_mutex);
			while (!work_queue_empty(&wq.work_queue)) {
				// dequeue and process work item
				pthread_mutex_lock(&wq.stuff_mutex);
				wq.stuff_todo--;
				pthread_mutex_unlock(&wq.stuff_mutex);
			}
			pthread_mutex_unlock(&wq.work_mutex);
		}

		// blah blah
	}

This should accomplish what you desire.  Caution that I haven't
compiled, run, or tested it, but I'm pretty sure it's a solid
solution.

The key here is unifying the two input sources (the GUI and work queues)
without blocking on either one of them individually.  The value of
(wq.stuff_todo < 1) becomes a proxy for the value of
(gui_queue_empty(...) && work_queue_empty(...)).

I hope that helps,
Brent

--
Brent Casavant			Dance like everybody should be watching.
www.angeltread.org