Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 22:18:20 -0700
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, nate@mt.sri.com, scott@statsci.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

In message <3279.835935088@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
>> This was discussed when this piece of code went in.  If you want to make
>> sure you get the "canonical" path, you need to unset PWD before calling
>> getcwd().  It was then (check commit-logs, probably the old cvstree)
>> accepted, abeit with some grumblings.  It saves a LOT of time.
>
>[Finally, a reasoned argument and not an outright flame! :-)]
>
>So you're saying that:
>
>1. It's part of the documented behavior of make (or
>   should-have-been-documented behavior :-) that PWD
>   should either not be set or be set to the same
>   value that getcwd() returns when running make?
dunno.

>2. It's something we ourselves added and wasn't in Adam's original
>   pmake?  I don't see anything in the current commit logs but,
>   as you say, there might be something in the old cvs tree.
dunno.

I just remember a lot of hagling about it in 1.1.5 days.  Now that I
think about it, it may have been about getcwd() in libc actually.

>I'm more than willing to put it back
Unless people can prove a performance loss, don't.  It's there as an
optimization, not as a feature.

>I'm also curious as to why you say it saves a lot of time when, in
>fact, it's done AFTER the call to getcwd() and merely overrides it.
it's what ?

Hmm, then I guess it is a feature to cope with automounters...

Hmmm...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.