Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 04:35:56 +0300
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject:   Re: how do I mount Extended DOS, LBA partition

> I'd grown used to the tidy informative output of linux fdisk, an
> instant source of the device names required to mount any thing.
>
> Finally I realized I could start /stand/sysinstall/  open the slice
> editor and find the names used for the various partitions, at least
> some of them, these names are conspicuously lacking in fdisk output.
>
> Brings up a question if there is a different fdisk or some other util
> that display device names in use.

Oh well, if your machine is a dedicated one, just as mine is,
you can always do:

        % disklabel /dev/wd0

and have the tidiest output I've ever seen.

Of course, since i don't expect everyone to use their disks in
"dedicated" mode, there are two steps in the process of finding
the labels for a slice.  Since there can be many many labels,
and lots of slices, it's probably best to let the user decide which
slice he wants to run disklabel on.  Thus, fdisk does not try to
provide you with *all* the possible information, but with the
minimum amount of info that you need in order to decide which
slice you'll run disklabel on, in order to see the rest of the info.