Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:01:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Zac M. Speidel" <pepsikid83@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.0-release installation problems

A few days ago I got my Dell 8100 (1.5 ghz and 128 Mb
of ram) in the mail. Naturally I desided to install
Freebsd 4.0 on it along with preinstalled WindowsME.
So I used Partition Magic to cut the 40 gig windows
partition and add a partition for freebsd (about 5
gigs allocated). The installation ran pretty smoothly,
it probed my hardware fine and everything seemed to be
working ok. During the installation process freebsd
prompted me to choose a boot loader, I choose the
freebsd boot manager (booteasy). When I rebooted my
machine The boot easy prompt came on F1 for windows
and F2 for freebsd, I hit F2 because I wanted freebsd
to load. When I hit "F2" all I heard was my internal
speaker beep - one of those annoying "warning beeps"
and nothing attempted to load. when I hit F1 windows
loaded fine. I began thinking it was some sort of BIOS
configuration problem so I went in bios and no luck
there eather..

    I have heard about some system BIOS having an
issue with exceeding 1024 cylinders or whatnot, but
this is for OLD machines not new 1.5 ghz machine.. If
anyone has information on my problem or can offer
suggestions please email me... I will take you out for
a cup of coffee or  lunch if you help me get freebsd
running (joking) anyways have a great summer bsd
cadets and stay away from the heat..

Scared Dell user,
Zac Speidel

Please email me: Pepsikid83@yahoo.com