Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:34:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Chris Martino <chrismar@mail.eclipse.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem Problems

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Chris Martino wrote:

> It is COM3 and COM4 or thats what it reports in Win95.

Where is that reported?  I've never seen anything like that.

> Also yes all the sio's are being probed, I configured the kernel to
> probe them.  Still no help.  I have an old USR Sportster 28.8 that I'm
> gonna try hooking up to COM2 and see if that works. I just need to get a
> cable, which I plan to do today.

That should work.  Most internal modems want to be Plug&Pray configured,
so you might try building a new kernel with ``controller pnp0''.

> Is there anything special I need to do for USR Sportsters?  Cause it has
> those DIP Switches in the back.  Any special ones need to be down or up?
> It is an external.

(picking up sportster from a stack of 5 or so -- these guys used to have a
modem pool of 100 of these, can you believe that?)

1 up
2 up
3 down
4 up