Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 22:46:01 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), reilly@zeta.org.au, tom@uniserve.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up on LFS

> > > JAVA has a nasty tendency to leak like a sieve until the GC hits a
> > > steady state.  As does Modula 3.
> >
> > You've *got* to be kidding, right?  Do you have any idea how often the
> > GC collection pass is run?  It would be *very* difficult in real world
> > programs to leak any signficicant (~1MB) of memory before the GC phase
> > kicked in.
>
> Your and my definitions of significant differ.  For an embedded use,
> 1M is way, way too large.  Most Palm pilots simply don't have that
> much memory to be abole to afford to leak that much.

On the palm pilot, you couldn't allocate 1M of stuff in that short of
time. :)

(The stuff I'm allocating is about 500-1MB/object, so your point is
truly moot.  Especially considering the footprint of my entire program
is around 60-70MB.)

Don't ask like an expert on something you have no idea on.

Nate

ps. There is no *real* Java on a pilot, and as such they're GC scheme
could be much different than the current scheme, though I doubt it would
make much difference.