Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:44:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exhausting modem problems ...

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > Good -> cheap.  You couldn't upgrade the external?  Most manufacturers
> > will upgrade you for cheap or, in the case of Supra, it's just a flash
> > upgrade.  I've seen more of this change blow up and die under FreeBSD.
> > Face it people, internal modem flaunt the serial port standard and
> > *won't*work*.
>
> 	*groan*  Point in favor of *ack* MicroSloth...this modem is supposedly
> rock-solid under a friends Windows box...

Heh, bad RAM is "rock solid" under a Windows box.  If it's Windows
compatible, it cuts corners.  Case in point, my laptop.  Has a wonderful
'certified DOS and Windows compatible' sticker on it, and OS/2 can barely
stand the thing.

> > > 	Can anyone suggest what I might want to look into to determine which
> > > end of the connection is having the problems?  All I know now is that no
> > > packets are getting through.
> >
> > Get rid of your internal and upgrade your external?   :)  I have *never*
> > trusted internals.  I can't watch their lights and make sure they aren't
> > doing evil things behind my back.
>
> 	Oh well, guess I'll have to live with it until I can afford to
> upgrade :(  It was given as a gift from a friend, and since it was a higher
> speed, I gave me old external 28.8 to my sister...3 provinces away...to
> use on her computer :(

Oh, I see.  It's hard to turn away gifts, no matter how cheap...

> > As you can tell, I'm touchy about this. :)
>
> 	That's okay...if it wasn't free and a higher speed then what I
> was using, I would have run scared...I'm pretty much of the same opinion
> about internals :(  Guess I just got my reminder as to why ... :(

Oh well...  I suppose you could play with the settings.  Try moving it to
COM1 or COM2 and see if FreeBSD will pick it up then.