Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 07:38:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
To:        "Andreas S. Wetzel" <root@deadline.snafu.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: COMPAT_LINUX broken in -current?

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Andreas S. Wetzel wrote:

> I recently had some problems running Linux binaries on top of my
> 3.0-current-SMP machine. My first thaught has been that this would
> be an SMP specific issue, but now that I have also tried it on a
> normal uniprocessor kernel which doesn't work either, I'm somewhat
> certain that it isn't only SMP specific. The background for this is
> the following:
>
> FreeBSD 3.0-current as of 07/19/97.
> Uniprocessor kernel with statically compiled in COMPAT_LINUX.
> The following Linux binaries:

I am having similar problems, and I have tried both uniprocessor and smp
kernels, and have the same result with both.
My machine is FreeBSD 3.0-current SMP as of 7/23/97.
SMP Kernel with the Linux LKM module, not static.
And I am using the i386-ELF-xquake-1.06 binary:

hope.winternet.com$ file i386-ELF-xquake-1.06
i386-ELF-xquake-1.06: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dynamically linked, stripped

> 1) xquake
> 2) xf86quake
> 3) qwsv
>
> All of the above binaries are ELF-32 bit LSB executables, Intel 80386,
> version 1, dynamically linked, stripped. None of them works, neither on
> a UP kernel, nor on a SMP kernel. All that happens after starting
> one of the above mentioned binaries is that the machine hangs up completely.
> Mouse in X11R6 doesn't move anymore, system does not react to ctrl-alt-del
> or debugger break (ctrl-prtscr) and no chance to login via serial terminal.

My machine has a somewhat similar problem.  After starting the quake
binary, it locks up tight and then 2 seconds later reboots.  Might the
difference here be the fact that I am using the LKM?  I have not tried to
break into the debugger yet, but will tonite.

> The binary "xquake" used to run on FreeBSD SMP as of 02/09/97, "xf86quake"
> was reported to run on a friends FreeBSD 2.2-RELEASE machine and "qwsv"
> runs just at this moment on a 486DX box using FreeBSD 3.0-current as of
> 02/09/97 with LINUX lkm.

Not sure when mine last ran.  I know the binaries that Andreas mentioned
ran on my 2.2-stable machine when I had that one running, nad that was
less than one month ago.  Does anyone have a clue on this?

Kyle Mestery
StorageTek's Network Systems Group
7600 Boone Ave. N., Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
mesteka@anubis.network.com, mestery@winternet.com