Date:      Mon, 24 May 2004 20:50:07 -0700
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@Freebsd.org>
Subject:   lingering problems with ports collection

I have been having (and reporting) some problems with my ports
collection and I can't seem to get them resolved. For some reason, the
system is rejecting the ports collection like a mismatched organ.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-March/
040320.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-March/
thread.html#38348

The upshot is that I can't reliably build ports due to some problems
with shared libs not getting built.

Configure doesn't see this as a freeBSD system, but as some hybrid
GNU/FreeBSD beast and sometimes sets the host type as
unknown-kfreebsd-GNU. Then I find that while a port is recorded as
installed, ports that depend on its shlibs fail. I can test this by
making a package when I make the port, but the port is installed before
packaging, so the end result is that I may have a package recorded as
installed but I know i can't rely on it. (that seems backwards to me:
what if I only want to build packages w/o installing them? can i do
that?

To resolve this, I have:

built a new kernel and world from fresh sources (in the process finding
another problem to do with /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl needing to
rebuilt).

tossed my whole ports directory and moved aside the pkg database,
pulling a fresh tree from CVS.

Still I see these problems. Also, dependencies don't get built
automatically: if I build sysutils/portupgrade, I don't get prompted to
build security/openssl or even lang/ruby: pkgdb will tell me, but not
the ports tools themselves.

What sometimes helps is to change the USE_LIBTOOL directive from 13 and
15: libtool 1.3 seems to be part of my problem. But that's not always
working.

To be clear, I can build and install just from the source directory
(/usr/ports/{PORTNAME}/work/portname). But that doesn't get it
registered and if I got back up to the port's directory, the make
commands will kick back errors I didn't see in the source directory.

--
Paul Beard
<www.paulbeard.org/>