Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:36:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        tstromberg@rtci.com
Cc:        freebsd-audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Buffer overflows

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999 tstromberg@rtci.com wrote:

> This was sent to me by Theo DeRaadt (everyone on this list should be
> familiar with him). I thought you guys might be interested since we
> seem to be helping each other quite a bit. We may want to integrate
> several of their programs as we see here, or at least apply similar
> fixes if need be.

I'm going through and merging across all of the fixes from OpenBSD (/bin
is almost done so far). However, at least a few of the OpenBSD ones were
unfortunately bogus (using the sizeof() of your source, not destination
string, etc) or otherwise not quite right (corrected an off-by-one error
with another more benign off-by-one error, etc), so it's not completely
trivial. Plus, there's no guarantee they've found all of the problems
(e.g. the recent flurry of commits since your posts here :), and our
codebases are slightly divergent, so we still have further work to do.

I probably won't have much time to work on this further until January, as
I'm trying to get OpenSSL cleaned up for committing, have exams to study
for, and I'm going home over christmas :-)

Kris