Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 16:33:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: From Slashdot...

> ...is FreeBSD destined to be a "server" environment only, with anyone
> wanting to do any serious graphics or multimedia needing to fall onto the
> Linux bandwagon?

Yes.  Interest in the desktop has been so marginal as to make it no
longer worth even thinking about and I think it's time to realize that
the server is our bread and butter.

Everyone talks about how nice desktop support would be but nobody DOES
anything and, as a result, every initiative to support the desktop
more seriously in FreeBSD has been a dead loss.  The desktop contest
went down without so much as a single decent entry, XiG sold about 3
copies of CDE for FreeBSD when they made a play for the (non-existent)
FreeBSD desktop market (and don't tell me this was just anti-CDE
attitudes in action since they sold thousands of copies for Linux) and
the attempt to bring 3DFX support to FreeBSD has been so long in
coming that I'm no longer even waiting for it, etc.

If I wanted a Unix machine purely for the desktop today, I'd install
Linux.  It has all the multimedia frobs, support for exotic 3D gfx and
sound cards, desktop applications, you name it.  FreeBSD has a pool of
about 50 users who feel about as strongly about the desktop, it seems,
and that's just not enough to reach critical mass, especially when
those users are not also software developers who can actually write
drivers and improve existing support.

Do I sound bitter about this?  Perhaps just a bit.  For whatever
reason, the multimedia developers have not seen fit to actually
develop multimedia support in FreeBSD and, as a result, we merely have
a lot of users milling around asking when their hardware is going to
work.  That's not a winning situation, and it's my hope that perhaps
DVD support will be the one thing we can do which allows us to catch
at least the trailing edge of the wave since it's also the one thing
that people who use X for little more than popping up lots of xterms
(as most FreeBSD users, including myself, seem to do in a
server-centric environment) will want.  Movies have universal appeal.

- Jordan