Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:02:22 -0800
From:      Will Yardley <william@hq.newdream.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Eterm problems

[i'm not on the list, so please send a copy to me if possible... i'm
using mutt, so if you are as well, a list reply should work fine]

i have upgraded Eterm to version 0.9.1 (from ports); freebsd 4.5 stable,
XFree86 just upgraded to 4.2.0

my problem is that i use the multikey to type accented characters (like
é, â, etc); i have it mapped to the windows key on my keyboard.  after
upgrading, i can no longer type these characters in Eterm, although i
can copy them in from another application.  they work just fine in
xterm, or in graphical applications.

xev shows that it is being recognized as the multi key:

KeyRelease event, serial 25, synthetic NO, window 0x1a00002,
    root 0x41, subw 0x0, time 2887319098, (586,607), root:(1067,767),
    state 0x10, keycode 115 (keysym 0xff20, Multi_key), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

however if i type 'multi-key-e-`' i get:
e`
instead of

i was running an older version (i think 0.9) for a while and did not
have this problem.... i have the same problem on my home machine, and
tried adding '--enable-multi-charset' to the port by hand.

if no one here knows, i will send a message to the port maintainer and /
or the Eterm developers.

--
Will Yardley
input: william < @ hq . newdream . net . >