Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 2009 22:07:42 +0200
From:      cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Block device to regular file?

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 09:36:22PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 07:48:16PM +0200, cpghost wrote:

> For the record, FreeBSD doesn't have block devices. They are all
> character devices. Compare the output of "ls -l /dev | grep '^b'" with
> that of ls -l /dev | grep '^c'.

Ups, right. My mistake.

> Might this be what is bugging sleuthkit?

They try to get the file size of the char device...

> >   phenom# mdconfig -a -t vnode -o readonly -f /dev/ad4s1e
> >   mdconfig: ioctl(/dev/mdctl): Invalid argument
>
> The vnode type md can only use regular files. See md(4).

Yep.

> Well, fls and other sleuthkit programs support split images. Will it fit
> if you divide it into several smaller files?

Good idea: that's one possible solution.

> > > I would strongly advice you *not* to experiment with the original
> > > disk, because this *may* lead you to more problems.
>
> very good advice IMHO.

Correct. I'm VERY careful with the original disk.

> > But that's not the issue here. The file system itself is over 470GB
> > (it occuples the whole 500GB disk), and while I do have spare 500GB
> > disks, the whole image won't fit into a filesystem: it will be slightly
> > too big.
>
> Maybe it will fit if you play with the newfs parameters of the new disk?
> Shrinking the reserved space, enlarging the block and fragment size and
> reducing the number of inodes, that kind of thing.

If the file won't fit (still copying), I'll hook up a couple of
500GB disks to the box, and will try to newfs a bigger file system
across all of them via gconcat(8). I haven't tried it before, but
I hope it will work.

Thanks for all the help.

-cpghost.

--