Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 14:07:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Jos Vissers <Jos.Vissers@telebyte.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why does arp not work when ip-alias installed

Hi,

This is my final try on getting an answer on this. My employer is
convinced that it all works well on Linux and wants to switch back.

We have a network with several Livingston portmaster and a
cisco router as gateway. Most of the dial-up ip addresses are on
the same class c network as the servers and therefore arp -a
should give the ethernet address of the portmaster for an
address that is in use.

It does on machines without an ip-alias.
It doesn't on machines with ip-aliases.
If this is supposed to be like this can somebody please explain why?

The routing problem is solved by running routed which adds the
dial-up ip addresses if somebody dials in. Our Linux machine
has about 50 ip aliases and arp works fine on it without need
for routed.

To make things worse routed sometimes removes the default route
and doesn't want to add it again unless you restart it.

It really shouldn't be necesary to run routed should it?

Jos

--
   Jos Vissers, System administrator Telebyte