Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 23:27:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger - Personal Account" <babbleon@mercury.interpath.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        boia01@pollux.GEL.USherb.CA, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Zip drive

| Alex.Boisvert stands accused of saying:
| > I am using the same driver with an Epson ZIP drive (same drive as Iomega
| > but manufactured by Epson).  I had to remove some of the detecting code
| > because it was not seeing the drive.
| >
| > I also patched the driver to work with 2.2-ALPHA.
| >
| > Works like a charm.
| > Alex.
| >
| > PS:  If you need my source, just ask.
|
| If we can reach some consensus on what works and what doesn't for this
| driver, I'll get it committed to -current so that it gets wider
| distribution and testing.  Alex, I'd obviously like your code - and
| anyone else that's using it, please send me your diffs from the
| original.

Alex:  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have got the zip drive working here.

For anybody looking at the code, I used his #define values for timeouts
and his self-described "hack," but left the other code as it was originally,
to get a working 2.1.0 driver (yes, I'm living the past; one reason I want
a zip drive is to back up so I can update my O/S).

I will be happy to send diffs (either relative to the origianl ppa3.c or
to Alex's version), but I believe that the upshot of what I left and what
I kept is that I have Alex's fix to make it work with my hardware without
the changes for 2.2-ALPHA, but since 2.1.6 is the final, put-to-bed 2.1
(right?), I don't think the that the version I'm running is of widespread
interest, is it?

Anyway, I'm quite happy.  Thanks for the help!

--
Brian T. Schellenberger, the Man from Babble-On.

"Someday I'll get around to importing all the cool quotes from my other
account's .sig files."      http://mercury.interpath.com/~babbleon