Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:43:56 -0700
From:      "Roger Sandhi" <rogersandhi@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   make package not keeping directory owner/group

I've searched the mailing list for others who have this problem but to no
avail. I'm working on creating a new port and part of the suggested testing
order includes 'make package'. This is where I'm having trouble.

The port installs various files under www/data/directory and has
subdirectories within there. Those directories should have (and do when you
install the 'make install' way) the owner:group www:www which is set during
install through the Makefile. The problem is that when installing from the
created package, the directories have their owner:group reset to root:wheel
while the individual files keep their www:www owner:group.

Is there any way to get 'make package' to respect the owner:group for
directories? On second though, could this be a problem with pkg_add not
setting the right uid/gid when it installs the package?

Thank you

Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*