Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 21:22:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
Cc:        Das Devaraj <das@netcom.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What else goes with it (was Re: New name?)

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Dan Janowski wrote:

> Why does someone else want to use it? Do we tell people
> it is awsomely powerful for connecting to the Internet?

This is a question of applications that run on the platform. There is a
good point here. Why does Joe User want to run FreeBSD?

The website has a link on the front page to "applications". Then it
takes the user to a blurb and then the ports collection.

Hmmm ports.... What is a port?

Then this large list of apps with cryptic names is given.

Hmmm plan9....  What is plan9? What is a shell? What is fvwm2?

Now, let me say this. The website as I have discussed it so far is
completely sensible and sane _to me_, Joe User might not think so.

Mr. Jankowski's comments are supported by the website. Look at that
"blurb" about the apps FreeBSD runs. It is all very heavy nerd stuff.

Perhaps a rewrite of this page to be less nerdy would be in order.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html