Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2011 18:11:23 -0500
From:      Robert Boyer <rwboyer@mac.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named/bind problems....

--Apple-Mail-50--656096441

Sorry to see you are still having issues. I thought you were set when we =
fixed your resolv last night.

Okay - let's start from scratch here....

Are you sure you need a named? Are you actually serving dns for your own =
IP addresses or are you using it as a caching server. Getting a new =
named working/installed is not an issue. Config files are usually and =
issue. If you can explain your network topology and what you are trying =
to make work I can probably point you in the right direction.

We did get your local resolution issue solved didn't we?

RB

On Jan 19, 2011, at 6:03 PM, Gary Kline wrote:

> Yesterday noon my time I rebooted my server.  Things seemed to be =
slow.
> Several streams were hanging or stopping, and because =
ethic.thought.org had
> been up for 61 days I figured it wouldn't hurt to reinitialize stuff.
>=20
> Well, nutshell, disaster.  For hours it wasn't clear whether the =
server would
> survive, but eventually i got a portupgrade -avOPk going and now I am =
close to
> having every port rebuilt. =20
>=20
> Now host kuow.org gives the the IP address of the U/Washington.  Etc. =
last
> night for unknown reasons even this failed.  I remembered that late =
last fall
> I  was warned the "bind9" was nearing its end/life.   I okayed the =
portupgrade
> to remove bind9 and install whatever its follow up would be. =20
>=20
> Since then, my kill9named script[s] and my restartnamed script[s] have =
failed.
> Can anyone save me from hours of tracking down whatever I have to to =
put
> things right?  =20
>=20
> Everything I get in trouble with this bind stuff it occurs how =
significant an
> achievement it is to have a
> service that automagically maps quad/dotted-decimals to actual words.
>=20
> Sorry if this sounds disjoint; it is past time for a lollipop and a =
blanket
> and a *nap*
>=20
> gary