Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2011 22:08:00 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Robert <traveling08@cox.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Invalid fdisk partition table found

Robert wrote:
> Greetings
>
> [robert@dell64] ~> uname -a
> FreeBSD dell64.shasta204.local 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #34: Fri
> Nov 18 06:43:01 PST 2011
> root@dell64.shasta204.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> I have two Lexar Professional 600X 16GB compact flash cards that are
> unusable. fdisk shows:
>
> [robert@dell64] ~> fdisk /dev/da1
> ******* Working on device /dev/da1 *******
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=29 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)
>
> parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
> cylinders=29 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)
>
> fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
> Media sector size is 512
> Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
> Information from DOS bootblock is:
> The data for partition 1 is:
> sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 32, size 59360 (28 Meg), flag 80 (active)
> 	beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
> 	end: cyl 28/ head 63/ sector 32
> The data for partition 2 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 3 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 4 is:
> <UNUSED>
>
> It shows only 28 MB instead of 16GB. I have tried to change the type
> from 165 (FreeBSD) to msdosfs types 6 11 or 12 using fdisk -u and fdisk
> -i and also "sade". I do not get and error but when finished it still
> shows the same data.
>
> I have tried to zero it out using " dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=1m
> and nothing changes. I have tried different block sizes and counts to
> no avail.
>
> Is there any way I can restore these CF cards to 16GB? Any help or
> suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

@ suggestions:
1 Try
	bsdlabel -B -w -r /dev/da1
	echo unplug, reinsert
	newfs /dev/da1a

2 Base of _my_ man fdisk
"     When running multi user, you cannot write unless you first run this:
     sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
"

It looks like I never got round to sending in a send-pr for that, so feel free
looks like its been that way at ;east since 7.1.see
http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/src/gen/sbin/fdisk/

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".