Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:57:18 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Chris Federico" <cfederico@natca.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: compatability

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Federico" <cfederico@natca.net>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 9:36 PM
Subject: compatability

> I stumbled across your website and was intrigued by your
> OS.  However, one thing I couldn't find was any mention of
> compatability with software designed for other OS's.
> Basically, I'm hoping I can rid myself of Win98 and still
> run all of my win98 software.  Can I?

No.  You would have to run Unix software.  Now there are a lot of programs
that have been ported to unix, like Netscape, Doom, Quake, and so forth, but
you would have to reinstall them all.  And some programs, such as Microsoft
Outlook Express are simply not available for FreeBSD.  (As they say about
White Castle Hamburgers, "There's just nothing else like it.")  I guess what
I am trying to say is "upgrading" to Freebsd is not like upgrading from
win95 to win98 or anything like that.

Josh

Josh