Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 02:42:39 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        Joseph Davida <jd@davida.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: Dynamically loadable drivers

On 1/10/00, 11:15:04 PM, Joseph Davida <jd@davida.com> wrote regarding
Re: Dynamically loadable drivers:

>       Thanks to all who responded.
>       We have decided to dump FreeBSD and Linux
>       in favor Solaris 8, which we obtained from
>       Sun for a mere $29, which is far cheaper
>       than bying the FreeBSD CD's from cdrom.com!!

As a matter of fact, you seem to *deserve* Solaris.
Intelligenti pauca.

>       Drivers that work on Solaris 2.51 still run
>       on Solaris 8!!! This is the great thing about
>       the DDI/DKI standardized interface, which
>       neither FreeBSD not Linux have any inclination
>       to implement.
>       To the FreeBSD kernel developers who keep changing
>       the kernel api's:
>          If you keep changing your tune,
>          soon no one will be dancing! You need a very big
>          dosage of humility and sensitivity to user's
>          needs. The tone of YOUR responses so far have been
>          less than professional. You should understand that
>          this sort of thing travels a lot faster than you
>          can prepare to formulate your next response.

Hmmm, this is a new concept to me.

Are the FreeBSD guys changing things *withouth* reason?
Difficult to believe. Horresco audiens (was: referens ;-))

It seems that a whole OS has to meet the needs ... of the sound (!)
subsystem. This speaks for itself.

Dear Mr. Davida, please go out for a walk, have fun, and think it over
again, with a fresh mind.

One *simplistic* general consideration only:
if you do NOT improve your code (bug fixing, code rewriting etc.) and
keep a lot of "legacy code" (in order not to break
backward-compatibility), you  will end up in ... (wait for it)
Micro$uxware ;-)

Indeed, in M$uxware, sound is probably *that* important ;-)

>       Regards,

>       Joe

> >From jin@portnoy.lbl.gov Mon Jan 10 15:53:03 2000
> >Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:52:51 -0800 (PST)
> >From: Jin Guojun (FTG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
> >To: billf@chc-chimes.com, jd@davida.com
> >Subject: Re: Dynamically loadable drivers
> >Cc: bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> >Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com> wrote:
> >
> >} On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Joseph Davida wrote:
> >} >       Looks like 4.0 (as of 01/05/2000) is
> >} [...]
> >} >       I was told that the OSS driver still works
> >} >       with the latest Linux kernel. Perhaps
> >} >       it's time I switched to something that
> >} >       does not leave users in such a lurch
> >} >       with every release.
> >}

How vital and decisive in one's life a *sound* card can be.

As Shakespeare pointed out (Hamlet), reality overcomes your wildest
imagination (was: "philosophy", lato sensu).

> >} Considering 4.0 hasn't released yet, I don't know what you are
bitching
> >} about. Linux's track record for binary compatibility isn't exactly
> >} squeaky clean either.
> >
> >This is the urgly part of the Linux -- every release is not
consistance
> >and not stable -- x.y.100 broke the EA driver, x.y.101 broke EB
driver,
> >x.y.102 broke EC driver, etc.
> >
> >As we noticed that we do not have pre-release testing before
3.4-RELEASE,
> >and much more bugs in the 3.x releases. Hopefully, FreeBSD will not
follow
> >Linux in this way.
> >
> >     -Jin
> >.

Unicuique suum: you may as well stick to Solaris if you like.
I wonder if you will ever consider a *network* card an issue -- let
alone VM management, kernel organization, kernel and userland
integration, high-quality documentation ...

Best regards,
Salvo

N.B. myjokingdomain neomedia.it to e-mail to me.

*****  Panton krematon metron estin antropos ... *****
(pardon my transliteration ;-)