Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2009 20:57:02 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>, Sebastien Chassot <seba.bsd@sinux.net>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xorg 7.4 keyboard localisation   (xorg.conf vs hal)

--=-DZAWqzP+Wtj/+gY84F0y

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 14:10 -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> Sebastien Chassot wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 17:19 +0000, Daniel Bye wrote:
> >  =20
> >> On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 05:42:39PM +0100, Sebastien Chassot wrote:
> >>    =20

> >> This should get you started:
> >>
> >> <?xml version=3D"1.0" encoding=3D"ISO-8859-1"?>
> >> <deviceinfo version=3D"0.2">
> >>   <device>
> >>     <match key=3D"info.capabilities" contains=3D"input.keyboard">
> >>       <merge key=3D"input.xkb.layout" type=3D"string">gb</merge>
> >>     </match>
> >>   </device>
> >> </deviceinfo>
> >>
> >> Change the `gb' in the example to your local keymap name, save the fil=
> >> as /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-input.fdi and restart hald.
> >>    =20
> This seems to have a way to enable HAL to detect a keyboard and export=20
> it to X, but what about mice?  My Xorg log tells me that it is ignoring=20
> my USB mouse in addition to ignoring my keyboard, so what sort of HAL=20
> file do I add to enable it to find my mouse?

The above is only to set keyboard layout, everything to detect the
keyboard is already present.

> Where in HAL documentation is this information found?  R. Noland seemed=20
> to think it was a trivial process to make HAL do keyboards and mice?  In=20
> fact it is not trivial but a pain in the ass!  If you intend to inflict=20
> broken software on unsuspecting users you had better think through all=20
> of the problems and come up with explicit solutions to all of those=20
> problems so that everyone has a chance to make their systems work.

We (marcus and I) have gone to great pains to try and ensure that hal
behaves correctly in pretty much all mice configurations with or without
sysmouse.  If you don't want to use hal, set AutoAddDevices off and
configure away.

> There had better not be any more surprises waiting in the X 1.6 wings to=20
> surprise and confound everyone again!

Are you going to stop paying me?  You have no idea how many combinations
of hardware and configurations for X  exist, or the amount of wok that
goes into making all of those combinations work.

robert.