Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 08:54:45 -0500
From:      "David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.at, wong@rogerswave.ca, alan@cymru.net, imb@scgt.oz.au, dg@root.com, netdev@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ok, final sockhash changes, new diff

   From: Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
   Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 00:45:26 +1100 (EDT)

   > Extra silly cycles in the critical code path.

   Yes, if you were doing it all the time to make sure the table was a good
   size, but I was referring to doing it once - at boot.  (I should ahve made
   myself more clear).

You thus have to load the power of two size of the hash table from a
kernel variable (thus a dead cycle as far as I'm concerned) every
lookup and furthermore every other operation on the tables.

But it is still a nice idea.  People who truly want their machine to
scream are probably best off the configure it via a macro at compile
time and be done with it (as per Ingo's original suggestion).

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s   ////
ethernet.  Beat that!                     ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><