Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 17:51:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        msch@snafu.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA errors on recent -current

It seems Terry Lambert wrote:
> "Søren Schmidt" wrote:
> > > I didn't mean for the reset itself, I meant for the process.  You
> > > can't "take back" writes that are in progress and not acknowledged,
> > > in order to retry them after the reset, so as to not lose data.
> >
> > Oh yes you can, the ATA driver does just that in case of the drive
> > loosing its marbels.
>
> If it worked, people wouldn't be having this problem.

Hmm, since I havn't been able to get my hands on the problem
(I've been running 3 systems here with tags all over since the
first report, not a single hickup yet :( ) I can't tell whats
going on, it might be that the drive somehow gets really confused
I dont know, for now those having tags problems should just
not enable it...

> What's your theory on it?

None so far, I've instrumented the code here, and I simply cannot
see what should go wrong (yet).

BUT recent current with the busdma'd ATA driver screws up with
tags, fix is coming as soon as I get a few hours to commit it...

-Søren